You're right. The problems you experience stem from these assumptions:
1. The examples are designed to work on x86, rather than x64 (we havent updated
2. VS 2010 is installed on the machine (that's where the ugly message box comes from. In fact, it's not that Isolator++ needs the VS 2010 DLLs, it's the GoogleTest framework we've thrown in there for the examples).
It's a bit messed up, I agree.
We're planning a major overhaul to both docs and examples. Until then, I suggest either
1. You try to run the examples where VS 2010
2. Skip the examples and work in VS 2008 directly
3. If you have a more recent VS, you can take a look at a demo zip file, that has VS 2013 examples, running on MS Test framework. You can find it the file here